02 August 2009

Croydon Summer Festival, 1-2 Aug

This weekend, I went to Croydon [another suburb of London on the South side] to participate in a summer festival.

To get there I just needed to take the tram from Wimbledon to Croydon. Of course, I didn't do that. I took the overland train from Wimbledon to Croydon and what I didn't realise is that Wimbledon ... zone 3 ... to Croydon ... drops you in zone 6, so when I got to Croydon, my train ticket wouldn't let me out of the turnstiles. I went over to the window to buy a zone 6 ticket and instead, I GOT a ticket!!! 20 pounds for a 3 pound ride. Rats!


They had a nice line-up of music. I heard Candi Lane, R&B artist. She sang "Young Hearts Run Free" in the 70's. She has a great voice.

On a side stage, I say Latin Dub Sound System. They were good. Hadn't it not been for the rain, there would have been lots of room to salsa. And it was quite obvious that a LOT of people at the festival do NOT know how to Salsa.

But the main reason I was there was to see The Proclaimers! I love these guys. They are Scottish brothers, Craig and Charlie Reid formed. Their first big hit was "Letter From America". My favourite is "I’m Gonna Be (500 miles)" and "I’m On My Way". These guys still have it!


Now of course by the time The Proclaimers were on stage, it was raining ... sideways. It was raining so hard that the umbrella was leaking! I had my Goretex jacket on, but really needed my Goretex pants! Yow-za!

Most people were just happy [drunk], soaked, and dancing in the rain in their Wellington's! This is literally, a favourite English past time in the summer. To be wet, drunk, and dancing in boots.