08 August 2009

Misty Update

For those of you that have me as a friend on Facebook, you know that this week I had to take Misty in to have a tumor removed from her left ear.

She had a small tumor there about the size of the end of my pinky for the last couple of years. Week before last, it grew and burst. [It is really gross.] She had one last fall on her hip that the same thing happened and the vet drained it and I had to bathe in salt water a few times a day until it closed up. He didn't want to remove it because she is old and being on anesthetic is risky.

This time, however, it was going to end up being a bigger problem trying to avoid infections as there isn't a lot of skin there.

So Tuesday, I worked from home and took Misty into the vet for surgery. I dropped her off at 830 and they thought she would be on the table about 11:00 and finished at 1130 ... but don't panic if it's later. [Yeah, right]. It was after 100 when the vet called and said that she had survived the surgery and was in recovery. Step 1: complete. I picked her up at 400.

They've sent the tumor off for a biopsy, so I am now waiting for those results [Step 2: unknown].
In the meantime, the vet is very happy with her progress; in particular because he was able to remove the tumor and not crease the ear [it's still prone or upright, and not flopped over].

The first night was rough. She was drugged, disoriented, and clearly uncomfortable. We had a sleep over in the living room ... this was after she slid down the stairs trying to follow me to the kitchen. Not good.

She's on pain killers and an anti-inflammatory, penicillin, and she's getting lots of treats and attention. I only put the collar on her when I leave for work. She hates it.

I took her in on Thursday for her post-op. I drove to the Village [she can't walk that far yet] and before I knew it, she and Allie were half-way across the Commons ... in the lake ... wrestling with a Husky puppy. Dang! Stitches!!!

Needless to say, I'm supposed to keep her quiet-er. Stitches come out on the 15th. Fingers are crossed on the biopsy.