03 November 2008

Still moving ...

It was an unbelievably draining week last week, and it seems to be spilling over into this week. More of the same. I dropped the dogs at the kennel on Wednesday. I left Thursday morning [530am from my house] for a train to London [that's South from Bristol] to meet my boss and a colleague to catch a train to Derbyshire [that's North from London]. We got to the station to find that our PA's [personal assistants] had purchased tickets for the wrong date. A quick run to the ticket machine, and then a dash to catch the train.

We had a three-hour journey followed by a 2-hour meeting followed by a 2-hour dinner and finished with a three-hour journey back to London, arriving sometime after Midnight. On the way back to London, we missed the last train out of Derbyshire for London, so we caught a train to Birmingham [that's headed further North], only to have to switch trains [we had seven minutes] which involved RUNNING from one train, under ground, up stairs, over tracks, down stairs and onto the platform ... to catch the train to London. When I arrived at the station, the taxi driver told me my hotel was close ... as to suggest that I walk. Whatever, dude!

On Friday, I was supposed to make a journey to West Kent [South of London] for an all-day meeting. I also needed to be in London for a budget meeting. The budget meeting began at 900am and was to end at Noon. At 1100, I sent a note that I was not likely to make it to the meeting at all and we were pushing on through lunch ... and then through dinner! I left the office at 845pm and headed for Paddington. I caught a 915pm train to Bristol Parkway and then took a taxi to Bristol Temple Meads where my car was parked, and back to my house, arriving around 1130pm.

At 730am Saturday, the packers were to arrive. I was up and moving about. They showed up with a junior moving van and no wardrobe boxes. They improvised by removing my hanging clothes from the two [Ikea] wardrobes I had, moving the wardrobes onto the van and then replacing the clothes. Once the truck was full [hanging clothes, dresser, two beds, most of the kitchen, couch and kitchen table/chairs], I raced them to London ... and beat them by nearly 3 hours. I was ready for a nap! Of course it was raining. In all, I got about 1/3 of my stuff moved to my new place in Wimbledon Village.

Sunday morning, I travelled back to Bristol, rescued the dogs from the kennel, and packed up some essentials, like bath towels, toiletries, my TV, and dog food and the girls and I journeyed back to London.

I'm at work today. Monday's are big sales pipeline days. Tomorrow, I am heading back to Bristol to meet the packers, take 2, that are bringing a truck twice the size of Saturday's to hopefully finish the move, once-and-for-all. I haven't even started the stories about transferring the phone, cable, broadband ... it should all be sorted about Christmas. And this, I am not making up!