21 November 2008

Chargers v. Saints at Wembley Stadium ... 26 October

Yes, a month ago, I went to an American football game at Wembley Stadium in London and haven't had time [or Internet access] to publish the post.
The New Orleans Saints were the home team playing the San Diego Chargers. This is the second time the NFL has had a regular season game outside of the U.S. Last year, the Miami Dolphins played the New York Giants. Anyway, the Saints won, 37-32. It was a good game. Crowd was sold out. I cannot believe how expensive the tickets were though!

I went at a guest of an organisation that is looking for folks to put businesses in Northern Ireland. We had a champagne lunch prior to the game, complete with a jazz band from New Orleans, a characature artist and an open bar, then our seats were on the 40th yard line, 4th row. The price of the ticket was £500. Given today's exchange rate, that's about $750!!! Is it that expensive to go to a football game these days? I've only been one other time, so I have no idea, but who could afford it!??

I think the coin toss-er [tosser is not a good word in the UK] was British gold medalist swimmer, Rebecca Adlington.