25 November 2008

Crazy lady on the Commons ... and no Wombles in site!

I think this falls under the category: moving to the big city.

I took the dogs for a walk on the Common this mourning. It's cold. It's blustery. The sun is just up. And they are running around like freed prisoners because we didn't walk last night. They've done their thing. I've picked after them. They've played with a few dogs. We've scared all of the birds to the middle of the lake, and we are ready to head back across and home.
A woman is walking towards me. Dogs are way off to the side and as she approaches, she is yelling in a foreign tongue. She is easily 100 yards away. Did I mention it's blustery? As we get closer, I realise she is yelling at me. This peaks Allie's interest and so she happily gallops towards the woman who is now yelling in English, "I will call the police!", and begins spinning in a circle, I think swinging her purse at Allie who has now arrived at her side.
She stomps her foot and shouts again, "I will call the police!" And by now Misty has arrived because clearly, I am playing a game. I call the girls and they happily charge towards me and we turn and give this woman a wide birth.

About 50 steps beyond, I pass a man also crossing the Common and he simply smiles and says, "good mourning". A mourning of two extremes.

I shared my story with my British team and they quickly responded asking me if I had seen any Wombles? What's a Womble? Well!??

The Wombles were created in a series of children's novels from 1968. The characters later became nationally famous in the mid 1970s as a result of a popular BBC children's television show. A number of spin-off novelty songs also became major hits in the British music charts.

Wombles are pointy-nosed furry creatures that live in burrows, where they help the environment by collecting and recycling rubbish in useful and ingenious ways. Their motto is Make Good Use of Bad Rubbish. This "green" message was a reflection of the ecology movement of the 1970s. Although Wombles live in every country in the world, the stories focus on the life of the burrow in Wimbledon Common in London, England.

We've come full circle. Bizzar day to begin with and now I feel like I found a little humour.