28 September 2008

Walking our tails off!

Last weekend, and again this weekend, the weather has been absolutely perfect! Last Saturday, the girls and I had a "lie in" [we slept in late] after a busy week for me. I got back from the States and immediately started traveling. Day trips to-and-from London after a cross-continental flight didn't give me much time to adjust to the time zone.
So after we got up, had a little breakfast and a few diet Cokes, we headed for the coastal trail. Now mind you, the last time I was on the trail, it was right before I left for the States. It was sunny at my house. Weather expected to be good, so Allie and I headed for a long run. It's the only place I could think of that we could run 6 or 7 miles without competing with cars. Before we got to the seafront, however, the weather changed and it started to rain ... sideways. We made it a little over six miles, but running in wet shoes is really not my favorite. And I was bruised .. my hip ... my heel ... yuck!

But I digress. Last Saturday, we headed out at 11:00am. We walked down to the Lake Grounds, then the picnic grounds and stopped at The Windmill for lunch. Well, lunch for me anyway. Great pub on the water. Guess I was testing the water, so to speak. The weather held, so we headed down to the trail.
It had been raining a lot, so the springs were running. The dogs had plenty of water and places to rest. We had a nice walk, great weather, and there were very few people. I kept thinking that when I saw the Clevedon Golf Course, that would be a good place to turn around. Well, apparently [and actually, now that I think about it] we were on the lower trail, below the golf course and the filed of horses between the trail and the seaside. I was below the field of horses. So, we missed it.

Next thing I knew, I heard a woman coming up behind us on her mobile [cell phone]. She was calling a friend, saying that the walk was taking her longer than she thought and she would call again when she could see the Clevedon pier. Clevedon pier? I had never seen it, on foot or from a car. Seemed like a good enough reason to keep going.
I didn't have my camera with me, so I'll have to go back ... by car and take some pictures. Clevedon is bigger than Portishead. There is a LOT more going on on the sea front, restaurants, pubs, a lake to learn sea kayaking, a beach area, gazebos, multiple place to get ice cream, and so on. And the pier. It's a happening place, especially on a nice day.
It was nearly 3:00 and I was feeling a little guilty that the dogs were probably emaciated. I went into a Morrison's a bought a diet Coke, some Pringles, and two can's of dog food. We went out to the parade grounds, grabbed a seat on a dead-end stair case, and I poured the food out on the steps for the dogs.

After our rest, we headed back to Portishead. My next door neighbors were getting worried. They knew we had left for a walk. We got home after 5:30. According to Lawrence & Kathy, that we a 15-mile loop!