01 August 2008

Debbie Does Windsor

My friend, Debbie had a 12-hour layover at Heathrow airport last weekend, and I made the 100 mile journey on Saturday to pick her up from the international flight arrival in Terminal 1. This is the first time I have been to Heathrow. It is a HUGE airport with five terminals and lots of signs on the way in that tell you to check and confirm your terminal. HOW you do that remains a mystery to me. It's not on the itinerary. It's not on the web. It's not on the signage on the way in as you navigate the traffic into the airport. As luck would have it, United Airlines just moved terminals and there were lighted signs announcing they were now at Terminal 1 ... exactly where I was going! Debbie was on a United flight. I figured she wasn't at 5 which has been a disaster since it opened in May [maybe I was hoping], and she wasn't at 4, the cargo terminal, so may-as-well start at the beginning with 1.

So I get to the airport on Saturday morning at 640 for a flight that lands at 620 after getting up at 400 and leaving my house at 453 and I am waiting for Debbie. I start to wonder ... after stopping in the loo and then buying a diet Coke, how long her flight is to Johannesburg? So, I pull out the itinerary that she sent me and read the bottom. It says that she lands in South Africa on Monday. Odd. Why would a flight from London to Johannesburg take more than 1.5 days? I read up ... no she leaves London on Sunday. Odd. I'm sure Debbie said her layover was only 12 hours. I read up ... she lands at Heathrow on Sunday, 27 July. I am standing in Heathrow on Saturday ... which is obviously not the 27th. Crap!

So, back to Bristol I travel. In all, the trip wasn't bad A good practice run to the world's busiest airport without a hitch. Of course, I get back to my neck of the woods, and every summer holiday-er was on the road with his trailer in tow. This was the first weekend of summer holidays, so not only was the M-5 in grid-lock on Friday, but it was carrying over to Saturday as well. The last 11 miles of my journey took 30 minutes.

On Sunday, I get up at repeat the journey and meet Debbie at Heathrow. She greats me with bags of gummy Life Savers and boxes of Cheez-its! She can stay.

I decided [after consulting with my team] that we would spend the day at Windsor. The town is close to Heathrow, has a lot to do, and it's the home of the Queen and the Prince of Wales. The weather was perfect for a day at Windsor. The only problem is that since it was Sunday, there wasn't going to be a changing of the guard and the chapel was closed [unless you were going to the service].

We got there very early. There weren't any tourists yet and there wasn't any place open for breakfast, so we walked. It looks like a typical English village and high street with lots of shops. This is the one house that caught my attention. I think the picture explains it all. Cool, huh?

Once in Windsor, we walked the grounds and followed the audio tour. Windsor Castle is the largest inhabited castle in the world and, dating back to the time of William the Conqueror, is the oldest in continuous occupation. The castle's floor area is approximately 484,000 square feet.
Together with Buckingham Palace in London and Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, it is one of the principal official residences of the Queen. Queen Elizabeth II spends many weekends of the year at the castle, using it for both state and private entertaining. Her other two residences, Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle, are the Royal Family's private homes.
Most of the Kings & Queens of England / Great Britain / Commonwealth have had a direct influence on the construction and evolution of the castle, which has been their garrison fortress, home, official palace, and sometimes their prison. When the country has been at peace, the castle has been expanded by the additions of large and grand apartments; when the country has been at war, the castle has been more heavily fortified. This pattern has continued to the present day.

When we walked the grounds we saw the Round Tower and St. George's Chapel. Here is a picture of Debbie and then me in front of the Upper Ward or Quadrangle. In the background is the South Wing. To the left of the wing is the Private Apartments for the Royals.
We went inside the Castle for a tour of the State Apartments. Most of these were rooms from Royals past and were filled with antiques, paintings, tapestries, etc. We also saw the newly restored St. George's Hall, newly restored after the fire in 1992. It houses replications of the shields of all knights under each of the monarchs.
Windsor has it's own wheel, like the one in London, only smaller. We went to the park to have a rest and enjoy a Pimm's and lemonade. Pimm's is gin-based beverage that is served both on ice or in cocktails. The recipe of Pimm's No. 1 Cup is secret; it has a dark tea colour with a reddish tint, and tastes of spice and citrus fruit. Pimm's cup mixes one part Pimm's No.1 with three parts lemonade, ice, a wedge of cucumber, mint leaves and slices of lemon, orange and strawberry.
It's most popular in Southern England and it is one of the two staple drinks at Wimbledon, the Henley Royal Regatta and the Glyndebourne opera festival, the other being champagne. As a result Pimm's has the reputation of being a drink for the upper class.





Debbie managed to stay awake all day. We had some dinner at a pub before I dropped her back at Heathrow and she left for Africa.