15 August 2008

Unbelievable phone call

Thought I would give you some insights into British customer service. I made a trip to Taunton today for a meeting with the big boss of my region. Anywho, I live in the Southwest, and the one place you do not want to be on a Friday afternoon in the Southwest is on the roads as everyone is headed to the beach. What you find when you get to the beach is another blog subject. Good news: I'm headed North and everyone else is headed South. Bad news: until I get through the round-a-bouts, I'm stuck like everyone else. This makes it even more obvious that my air conditioning is broken.

I am sitting still, so I call the dealership and ask for the service desk.
Yes, that's me.
Hi, yes, I'd like to book an appointment to have my aircon fixed.
Are you do for a service?
I don't think so. I think I have 5,000 miles to go.
Right. Well, what make is your vehicle?
Renault Megane Scenic.
Right. What's your tag?
CP04
Is that "charlie" "pa-pa"?
Yes.
Okay, right, go on.
USW
Is that "uncle" "Sam" "W"
Yes.
Right. Do you have your service manual?
Well, not right now. I am sitting in my car.
Right. Well, you're normally due for service every 18,000 miles. If you check your manual, you will see when you are due.
I know I am due for service in 5,000 miles because it says so on my dash.
Right. How many miles do you have?
48,894
Right. See so if you've had your 36,000 miles service, you'll be due at 54,000 miles. You should check your manual and see if it has had its 36,000 miles service and if it hasn't, you should bring it in. Otherwise, we'll see you in 5,000 miles.
Right. Let's assume I have had my 36,000 mile service because I bought the car from the dealership.
When did you buy it?
December.
Well, it won't be due for service until November or until you hit 18,000 miles.
Right. Okay, let's say I am going to hit the last 5,000 miles that I have in the very near future, can I bring it in for service?
Well, you wouldn't want to do that because it will cost you. Go back and check your manual and make sure that it had its 36,000 mile service, and if it hasn't, give us a ring back and we can book it.
Okay, well let's assume that it's had it's 36,000 mile service because I bought it from the dealership.
You did?
Yes.
Well then you should check with where you bought the car to see if it's due.
Okay. Is this the Renault dealership in Portishead?
Yes.
I bought the car from you.
Oh! Well let me look at the computer. It says here that your Renault had its 36,000 mile service, so you're not due for 5,000 miles.
Right. When I bring it in for it's next service, will fixing the air conditioner be a part of the service.
No.
How do I get the air conditioner fixed?
You should book an appointment.
Can I do that with you now?
Oh. Yes!

Now sadly, this phone call WENT ON! She wanted to make sure that getting the aircon fixed might cost me money unless I had a warrenty. Oh, it's a 2004, I'm sure it's expired. Well, since I bought it from you, I think it has an extension. Oh yeah, that's right ... it says that your warrenty doesn't expire until 27 Nov 2008. You should really bring it in!!!


Cant. Make. This. Up!!!!!!