05 January 2008

Happy New Year!

Hello all, after taking a break for the holidays I am back in my house and finally, I have Internet at my house. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad [more frequent posts or less meaningful]. Ah, well. So it is.

I took the opportunity during the holidays to head back to the U.S. and spend time with family and friends. I also was able to rescue my four-legged roommates from the kennel and keep them with me for two weeks. They have eight weeks [and counting] left on their quarantine. They are scheduled to begin their overseas journey 25 Feb.
New Word/Phrase:
Do you know what "Fly-tipping" is? Flytipping is the illegal dumping of waste. It can vary in scale significantly from a bin bag of rubbish to large quantities of waste dumped from trucks. Fly-tipped waste may be found anywhere, such as roadsides, in lay-bys [waysides, for those of you from Wisconsin or rest areas without facilities] or on private land. It's a real problem here.

I have been spending my time in my house [when I am here], unpacking and organizing. I have a long way to go. I need to get some pictures of the recycle center in town before I write about that, but suffice-it-to-say it is efficient. I actually enjoy going! Good thing!

I have my room, my closet [this is actually a bedroom], my bath and the guest room completed. Tomorrow I am going to try and tackle my office. I am supposed to be able to work from home when not "seconded" or in London. I didn't spend much time getting my office organized in the absence of having a phone, Internet or printer. That is all behind me now!
New Word/Phrase:
"Seconded" means to work in a dual role. The individual brings their experience to the place to which they are seconded and take back to their knowledge of issues which they acquire during their period of secondment.

I am getting ready to begin exploring the countryside. I really want to have my house in order before embarking on that. Hard to come home to piles of "stuff" ... and, it's raining anyway!

That's it for now. Drop me a note when you have a chance. Happy Leap Year!