19 January 2008

There's a constant ringing in my ears ...

I would just like to say that this serene sceen from my home office has lost a little bit of it's charm. I have been introduced to bell rehearsal. From the sounds of it, the ringers who practice in the evening [around 9:00pm] have more experience. Probably all adults. And certainly head to the pub for a pint after their hour or so of rehearsal is over. I'm not sure yet how many bells are in this tower. Sounds like A LOT. Perhaps six. There is also supposed to be a melody or pattern. My ear is not yet trained enough to hear it. Now the one or two bell ringers that woke me up this morning, were not nearly as good. Sparse. Clearly no pattern. The later morning team did a much better job. Honestly, I would like to know what they are rehearsing for? Easter, perhaps? I thought it was quaint around Christmas, but then, I don't think I was listening to rehearsals.
New word/phrase:
I have new phrases for you. First of all, Agony Aunt. An agony aunt is someone that you share your troubles with. Kind of like Dear Abby in the paper.

And have you heard of DeMob Happy? In its long form, it means Demobilization Happy and used to describe individuals who are about to be discharged from military service. They are likely to walk around with a smile on their face and not be bothered by much.

Well, I'm off to buy a clothes dryer. I got the green light this week, so I'm going to quickly secure one before they change their minds. Dryers here do now have to be vented and the water is collected in a pan at the bottom which has to be emptied. All I know is that I am looking forward to having soft bath towels again!