13 January 2008

Blustery January

Hi all! Finally getting to a new post. I desperately needed two things: time on the computer that wasn't related to expense reports or research, and new material! Got some. First, let's talk about the origin of the Easter Bunny. Whilst I was driving to Glocestershire last Tuesday, I saw large sheep [lambs on their way], green fields [winter wheat is up], a few Pheasant roosters, and a few Hares [as in the large rabbits that live in the fields, not those growing on your head]. They live in in nests, called "forms". I suspect they are called that because in the shallow hole, the hare takes the form of the ground. You can't see them until you are right up on them. At any rate, there is bird called the Plover that will hijack an abandoned form and lay its eggs. If/when the hare returns, s/he lies [or is it 'lays'] on the eggs. Now suppose you happen across the hare and scare it away. There you would see that the Easter Bunny left you some eggs. I'm sure there are more possibilities, but I like this story. And if you could see the size of these bunnies! I think they would give Allie a run for her money!
I did a bit of a walk-about yesterday. For the first time in a long time, there was sunshine predicted until about 4 o'clock, so I put on some down and headed for the sea. Aside from a short car ride, I have not been to the shore. I walked to the docks and harbour, then turned to follow a trail along the shore. There was a peer where the fisherman were allowed to fish from, but you had to have a license, a security code to open the gate on the peer, and I guess the going uniform for one who fishes is a jump suit of red and black. The guys waiting in the harbour for the gate to open were wearing the same red and black jump suit as the guys sitting on the peer.
I found a pub. The Royal. Great time and location for lunch! And what a great location. It looks out over the bay. I could see the suspension bridge to Wales. Further down on a road called The Woodlands, I walked along a lane of houses that look out over the bay. One house had a dragon's head that greated you in the drive. Further down, I found myself on Lake Road, and I knew where I was. Relatively speaking, not far from my house. I had obviously taken the scenic route past the docks, locks and peer. A great walk!
And I almost forgot, right before the holidays a guy came knocking on my door selling milk. As it turns out, I can have mild delivered to my house. Partly because of the pure nostalgia of it and partly because he called me "love" the entire conversation, I now have my milk delivered to my house. They have a larger menue, including dog food, so I am quite certain I will expand my services, but it was certainly a fun conversation. That's all for now. Take care and drop me a line!