13 December 2007

The holidays have arrived!

Whilst I was traveling on the train today from Gloucester to London, I saw snow on the ground. Then I read an article in the paper about a guy who brings his reindeer to the pub. Apparently, reindeer lose their antlers in early December or he wouldn't fit through the door. Good to know!

Downtown Portishead is decorated with tree tops secured to the buildings with twinkling lights, and then long strings of full-sized bulbs strung from building-to-building and light-post-to-light-post, which they secure in the sidewalk. Look closely on the left side of the photo. It almost looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book. And so was the scene when they were being strung. Both Sunday mornings, I happened to be on the High Street waiting for the bus. The groups of folks whom [I suspect] volunteer to put up the decorations are animated as well. They all wear yellow safety jackets with the project printed on the back. There are about 400 people, mostly men and their sons. They move extension ladders and scaffolding down the street as they hang the decorations. I missed the lighting ceremony, but will make sure I participate next year.

Off of the holiday topic but onto something British, can you believe how mini the original minis are? I thought I was going to be able to get one [nostalgia] and get the girls in there. Good thing I didn't. Misty may have left home.
Speaking of, I will be seeing the girls next week for the holidays. Seventy-four days until they move across the pond!
Take care all and Happy Christmas! I am still waiting for my phone and broadband hook-up in my house. Five weeks and counting. I'm quite certain they will be "on" about the same day I leave for the holidays. Cheers!