14 October 2009

Misty Gone

Okay, it's been nearly six weeks since I have been able to post a blog. Finally got Broadband turned on at my house, and now am having computer issues. I have had a run of visitors through, and need to blog and post pictures of their visits. I will get to that this week.

First, I need to sadly post that I had to put Misty down on 24 September. Think I wrote in August that she had a malignant melanoma. After we settled into our new place, she started eating things. She ate two pair of trousers [can't say "pants" here; that means that something has gone all wrong, or you talking about your undies], five pair of nickers [that's your undies], and bath mat. No surprise that she developed a blockage. I had to take her to vets and they kept her over night and pushed through barium, trying to track the blockage. After 30 hours, they decided that surgery was the only option. Ironically, when they got in there, the blockage had moved.

Unfortunately [or fortunately, depending on how you look at it], they found a tumour on her pancreas and her liver was riddled with tumours. They had a hard time getting the liver to hold a stitch. I knew it was bad. The tumours came back malignant, so it was a matter of days as she was advanced.

We had a very difficult night the day after I got her home from this surgery where she went "down" ... lethargic and breathing heavily. We laid out in the yard until about Midnight and then she suddenly got up and went into the house and ate dinner. The vet said a tumour had likely burst and she was bleeding. The little ones would continue on that way, but eventually, there would be a big bleed and she wouldn't recover. The silver lining in this is that this cancer is not painful [unlike the melanoma which would have eventually taken over her lungs].

So, not unlike after hearing the bad news about the melanoma, we lived every day doing what she wanted and was able [probably against vets' orders]. She ate chicken, table scraps and chew treats. We walked the Commons every morning. And I was happy with each day that she felt good. We definitely lived the "play hard" part together of my work hard/play hard ethic.

On Thursday the 24th of September, we walked the Commons and she chased the Ravens. I took her home and left her with my parents who were visiting, and went to work. I got a call about 1:30 from my Mom saying that Misty was down. These last couple of months might have been the most difficult I've had with a dog, but am really happy to have had Misty for 10 years. What an adventure!