27 April 2008

Barry, Wales

Alright, I finally decided to cross over the boarder and make my first visit to Wales! It's very pathetic that I haven't been then yet since I can see the shoreline and the bridge from my back patio! I'll blame it on the weather. Yesterday morning I opened the map and chose a spot to visit. I did pretty well for an un-educated guess. I chose Barry or Y Barri in Welsh, Wales. It's about one-hour from my house, on the coast, of course. Barry is located along the northern coast of the Bristol Channel less than 7 miles (11 kilometers) SSW of Cardiff, the capital of Wales, Barry is a popular seaside resort, with attractions including several beaches and the Barry Island Pleasure Park. Once a small village, Barry has absorbed its larger neighbouring villages of Cadoxton and Barry Island, which are now parishes within Barry. I really spent my time on Barry Island. As yesterday the weather was warm [66 degrees F], lots of people were out and about. There was a guy trying to manage a kite that you ski behind, though he wasn't in the water. Lots of folks were in the water. Dogs are allowed on the beach until 1 May. In the pictures in the margin, you'll see that Misty managed to get in her fair share. The tide was out, so I was able to take some pictures of tethered boats. In one picture, you can see what remains of a boat in the foreground. The flowers in the lawn are yellow primrose which are blooming all over the U.K. right now, especially in the woods where I take the dogs. I tried to get a picture of the sign for Barry town, but would have likely caused an accident. I did take a picture of Bethel Baptist Church, as I passed. I was already thinking of my friend, Barry Danielson, and I thought it funny that there would be a Church the same name of his college in Barry, Wales. For the record, there are not very many Baptist churches in the U.K.!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=barry,+wales,+uk&ie=UTF8&ll=51.489079,-2.953262&spn=0.230022,0.749817&z=11