07 January 2010

It's snowing in the UK

Last year in January, there was one big snowfall ... and it was big. Wimbledon received 12 inches [30 cm] of snow in one falling. Of course, everything was shut down.

This year, we have been getting snow nearly every day since the week before Christmas, though until this week, it was only a dusting here or there [less than an inch].

The big snow and Artic snap [it's -8c or 14F] began in Scotland over the weekend and has been making it's way Southward. On Tuesday, this is what it looked like in
Chesire outside of Manchester where one of my staff members was holed up in her house. They had 7 inches [17-18 cm] and it was still falling.

And this is what it looked like in Barnsley in North Yorkshire and Humber where another of my staff members was stuck in a hotel.

On Wednesday morning, I woke up to 3 inches [7-8 cm] of snow sitting on my car, but the Tube was working, so I headed off to work in Barking. I live in Wimbledon, and if you get on the District Line, 33 stops later, you'll be in Barking. Barking only had a dusting. By 3 o'clock though, the snow had returned and folks were scattering out of the office.

On Thursday morning, I woke up to at least 7 inches of snow sitting on my car and it was -4c [24F], so it was icy to boot. Tube still running, so off to Barking again.

This is supposed to last for the month!